Linking buildings using WiFi

Linking buildings using WiFi

Setting up a point-to-point link

More and more people are taking the opportunity to work from home and, with this in mind, we are finding that people need a quiet space to work away from the main home; this is where the home garden office comes in. The garden office is generally formed by converting a summerhouse, garage or shed into the home-office. Often the home-office doubles up as the ‘man-cave’ for weekend entertaining and we all know that the first question guests ask these days is ‘What is your WiFi code?’!!

So, what do you do when the wireless connection from the home router just doesn’t reach the outbuilding?
Here at Solwise, we have a number of options to solve this problem, assuming you have power to the garden office! The first, a very simple solution, would be to look at Home Plug. This is a system where you send the internet signal along the mains. For this to work, the outbuilding needs to be on the same mains supply as the home router. A simple Home Plug point-to-point link allowing WiFi in the home office will cost around £50.

If Home Plug is not a practical option, and there may be many reasons for that including mains interference, distance etc., then our second suggestion would be that you consider a WiFi ‘bridge’ from the home to the garden office. Watch our video to see how you can do this, simply, in your home.


Linking buildings using WiFiThe video is set on a farm for linking up the farm office but this is exactly the same solution you can use at your home. The video explains how you can simply attach a pair of outdoor WiFi access points, one on the home and the other on the office.

This will be a separate WiFi connection to that which is in the home so there will be no crossover or interference there.

The WiFi ‘bridge’ is very simple to install. If the router in your home is not in a practical place to connect up to the outdoor bridging unit then Home Plugs are ideal for creating this connection.


All of the EnGenius Outdoor Access Points from Solwise are able to be powered via an Ethernet cable, making it simple to power the units: basically you power the outdoor units from the router inside the house and the router/access point inside the garden office. All the hardware you need to power them is included with the units and the only extra thing you will need to consider is the length of cable to suit your requirements.


You can use this application for a number of different scenarios:

Are you looking to get WiFi to the summer house/shed at the bottom of the garden?

Do you have a barn on your farm where you want to hook up some IP cameras to keep an eye on stock?

Do you work from home with a garage/shed office separate from the main home so you need to hook up your computer and a VoIP phone?

Is your business expanding and you now have portable buildings on site with workers that require network access?

Are you working on a classic car in the garage and want to use the Internet to find old manuals?


Point-to-Point link up to 500m:
pair of ENS500-AC

Pair of ENS500-AC

Pair of ENS500-AC for a point-to-point bridge, up to 500m and up to 70meg throughput

Point-to-Point link up to 10km:
pair of EnStationAC

Pair of EnStationAV

Pair of EnStationAC for a point-to-point bridge, for very highspeed throughput up to 400meg and a distance of 10Km

Point-to-MultiPoint link:
pair of ENS500-AC & 1 ENS500EXT-AC

Pair of ENS500-AC and 1 ENS500EXT-AC

Pair of ENS500-AC & 1 ENS500EXT-AC for a point-to-multipoint bridge where you need multiple remote points (2 in this case) to bridge back to one central location up to 400m and up to 70meg throughput